Video – Federal Chief Information Officer Vivek Kundra
Vivek Kundra covers a lot of Government 2.0 ground in this video and the audience had several good questions about the Government’s Open Data initiatives. This is a long video, but it is also packed with information about where we are headed with Government 2.0.
Gov 2.0 moving forward with Apps.Gov
This is an intelligent idea, an app store for the Government. This is a very interesting concept, I think we all learned a thing or two from Apple’s iPhone app store which can be applied to how we all use technology. I recommend taking a quick look at their “Cloud Computing” video (upper right corner) on https://apps.gov/cloud/advantage/main/home.do
See what others have done: Open Government Intitative – Innovations
All kinds of people have created all type of apps and solutions using Government data to help citizens. You can now see their great work on display in the Innovations Gallery at http://www.whitehouse.gov/open/innovations
Government Data is available on Data.gov for your Gov 2.0 Apps
The U.S. Government has released high-value datasets to meet the Open Government Directive http://www.data.gov/
How do I connect with other Gov 2.0 people?
There are many organizations and citizens involved with Government 2.0. You can find many of them by searching “Government 2.0″ on Twitter or the web. There are also many groups on Google and Facebook. Here are just a few of my favorites.
- GovLoop – Social Network for Government GovLoop ( @GovLoop ) is the premier social network for government connecting over 20000 federal, state and local employees, contractors and academics.
- GovTwit GovTwit ( @GovTwit ) hosts the world’s largest list of government agencies on Twitter, tracking state/local, federal, contractors, media, academics, non-profits and government outside of the U.S.
- Sunlight Foundation The Sunlight Foundation ( @SunFoundation ) uses cutting-edge technology and ideas to make government transparent and accountable.
- Citizen 2.0 on Facebook Connecting Citizens & Government.
- Gov 2.0 Radio Gov 2.0 Radio ( @govwiki ) is where government and technology reformers come to talk. The live weekly podcast captures the thoughts of public and private sector leaders using Web 2.0 to make government more effective, collaborative and transparent.
- I am also a huge fan of Peter Corbett’s ( @corbett3000 ) work http://www.istrategylabs.com/ Do you remember Apps for Democracy? I also find it difficult to talk about Government 2.0 without mentioning Dr. Mark Drapeau ( @cheeky_geeky ). I also enjoyed his section in this book: Open Government: Collaboration, Transparency, and Participation in Practice
How Do I Get Started with Gov 2.0 Data Today?
You can get started today with Presto Cloud – Community Edition. A ton of datasets are available and you can just “drag-n-drop” to create your first Government 2.0 widget. The Mashup Developer Community perfers the term “Mashup”. You can connect with community members here http://www.jackbe.com/enterprise-mashup/ Join the Mashup Developer Community.
Launch Presto Cloud Wires with “Create Mashups”
This is your dashboard after logging into Presto Cloud. You can create custom displays of your selected data by clicking on “create mashups”.
Connect Your Data & Choose Display
Congress by State & Missed Votes
There are many people working together to help reconnect citizens and government. I hope to see more as we move forward.