This article has been updated, please see “How to Install Zend Framework“
Extending the art & spirit of PHP, Zend Framework is based on simplicity, object-oriented best practices, corporate friendly licensing, and a rigorously tested agile codebase. Zend Framework is focused on building more secure, reliable, and modern Web 2.0 applications & web services, and consuming widely available APIs from leading vendors like Google, Amazon, Yahoo!, Flickr, as well as API providers and cataloguers like StrikeIron and ProgrammableWeb.
Installing Zend Framework from the command line
Connect to your server with a command line tool like PuTTY
PuTTY is a free implementation of Telnet and SSH for Win32 and Unix platforms, along with an
xterm terminal emulator. It is written and maintained primarily by Simon Tatham.
Here are the command line steps
These steps are executed by super user (su) in your site’s root directory
- wget http://framework.zend.com/releases/ZendFramework-1.7.0/
- tar -xzvf ZendFramework-1.7.0.tar.gz
- rm ZendFramework-1.7.0.tar.gz
- mv ZendFramework-1.7.0/library/Zend /usr/local/lib/php
- rm -rf ZendFramework-1.7.0
Command line steps explained
- Get file package from site.
- Decompress the file.
tar -xzvf ZendFramework-1.7.0.tar.gz
- Delete the compressed file.
- Move the library files to your standard location.
Note: This is usually something like “/usr/local/lib/php”, but you may need to check your PHP Include Path to validate your standard location.
mv ZendFramework-1.7.0/library/Zend /usr/local/lib/php
- Delete the decompressed directory and all it’s contents.
rm -rf ZendFramework-1.7.0
Setup Zend Framework Directories
Move just outside of site root directory to create your Applications directory.
- mkdir applications
- mkdir applications/data
- mkdir applications/data/logs
- mkdir applications/data/tmp
- mkdir applications/data/tmp/templates_c
- mkdir applications/controllers
- mkdir applications/views
- mkdir applications/templates
The Zend Framework site offers offers Zend Framework installation steps that are a little different than the steps explained here.